Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Shakara



Shakara

He says I wind my waist to entice him,

Move my hips to distract him,

And when he begins to dance to my rhythm,

I act like I despise him,

“What is the meaning of your Shakara?”

I’ve got brown eyes, brown skin, like a nubian queen,

Long limbs that can reach and teach your proud heart to be patient,

Yes I know I’m worth the chase so we’re doing this at my pace,

You have to jump hurdles before your lips touch my face,

Go look around and see if any female can imitate the grace of an African woman,

So he went away,

To the other side where females gazed at him with eyes wide,

Fueled his ego and boosted his pride,

Treated him like a king,

They denied him nothing,

Freely gave anything he desired,

His choices were numerous and his mind inspired,

He thought he couldn’t get enough,

Until he’d had enough,

Realized that even though we made it tough,

It was because there was a diamond in the rough, not just dust,

So he coughed up some cash and swallowed his pride,

Chartered the next ride back to the motherland,

And when he came home he said to me

Yes you African women make me dizzy

You have another kind of effizy

But over there they give it up too easy,

Yes I missed the fronting of my naija baby,

Who would diss me before she’d kiss me,

Tease me before she’d please me,

Who was untamable but still true to me,

I wouldn’t wish you to be anything other than you are,

My beautiful untainted Nigerian star,

I laughed, and started to walk away,

And he followed after me saying,

You, you wind your waist to entice me,

Move your hips to distract me,

And when I begin to dance to your rhythm,

You act like you despise me,

But, I like your Shakara.

Copyright ©2009 Chinwe Arinze

Painting featured in the audio clip done by Julia Hawkins

6 comments:

  1. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!

    CHINWE U'VE OUTDONE YOURSELF! THIS IS AMAZING!
    I LOVE LOVE LOOOOOOOOOOOVE IT!

    CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THE NEXT TWO!!

    JUST BEAUTIFUL...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dayyum! babylet, I'ld hav t go with zazzu, u've really outdone urslf

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful! x Ngozi

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love i love i love!! i tried to be first but i fell asleep refreshing this page! sniff!! so sad!

    but yess i love this!!! arrghhh so good, so true!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. im commenting again!! this i have to share!!

    ReplyDelete