Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Only Human

Last night,
While arguing with my ex over nothing important,
And losing my temper,
Over something that didn't matter,
As I felt my emotions fluctuate between affection and distaste,
I was reminded of my vulnerability.

This morning,
While halving strawberries in an absent minded manner,
Preparing fruit for my father,
I pricked my forefinger with the pointed tip of the sharp knife,
And squeezing my eyes shut,
Anticipating pain,
I was reminded of my mortality.

This evening,
As I forced a hot iron through the tangled mess of my dark knotted curls,
The iron slipped,
Burning away the flesh from one of the darker brown lines between my knuckle,
And I was reminded of my fragility.

Tonight,
Snuggling between my cold sheets and my thick duvet,
Finger healed, burn oiled, hair braided,
I shut my eyes and whisper a silent prayer of gratitude for life,
And another for protection from hurt,
As I meditate on my humanity.

I am only human.

Copyright ©2009 Chinwe Arinze

5 comments:

  1. This is really beautiful! It's your best yet, in my humble opinion;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teehee, I know some people who would readily argue about that. Thanks so much mama, your comments are always encouraging, and I always look forward to reading them.

    PS: I was gonna ask how you look after your hair? Cuz I actually did burn myself with an iron... and the more mine grows the more lost I am as to how to look after it. Yours is gorgeous, and it looks natural.

    {You can email me at ayirazuri@hotmail.com, if you don't wanna give hair advice under a blog post, lol}

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fantastic, exceptional actually. I connected with it. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're an amazing writer shark bait.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The thing about it is that most times we wish we were more than just humans and then we even forget what we really are...i like ur style of writing

    ReplyDelete